When I began to implement personality assessments to better interact with my teams, I became a better leader.
I immediately become more sensitive to other people and stopped treating them as I wanted to be treated.
If the golden rule is to treat people like you want to be treated, then the platinum rule is to treat people like they want to be treated.
There are dozens, if not hundreds, of personality assessments on the market. Some of the more well known are DISC (multiple versions), Personality Plus, Smalley’s Animals, COREmap, RightPath, and Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).
Some are free, others cost hundreds of dollars. Many are on-line now, but there are still paper versions available.
Some ask less than 10 questions, many ask more than 50; and some more than 100.
How do you know what’s valuable? Here are some ideas:
- How long has the company and the assessment been around?
- How well known are the company and the assessment? What is their reputation?
- How much does it cost? Often (but not always) you get what you pay for.
- How many people have found it valuable in the past?
- What kind of statistical validation does the company provide? In other words, how reliable are the results?
The DISC is one of the major models on the market, and it’s named for the initials of the four quadrants:
- D – Dominant (direct, assertive, results-oriented, firm, strong-willed)
- I – Interactive (fun, attention-seeking, outgoing, enthusiastic, optimistic, lively)
- S – Steadiness (even-tempered, accommodating, patient, humble, tactful)
- C - Conscientiousness or Compliance (analytical, reserved, precise, private, systematic)
One of the most comprehensive DISC assessments on the market is the “Everything DiSC” by Wiley. This assessment not only provides the basic personality but also has sections for assessing:
- Workplace (team interaction)
- Sales (how to flex for your customers)
- Manager (1-to-1 direct reports)
- Leadership (1-to-many reports)
It also has a great 360 assessment called “Leadership 363.”
Everything DiSC Features:
- Solid scientific basis for the assessment.
- A solid statistical basis, published for partners review.
- A strong, stable company.
- An awesome on-line testing and reporting platform.
- Multiple languages.
To learn more about Everything DiSC and other assessments, click here to contact Coach Dale.